Saturday, September 14, 2013

feeling bad, help someone else

I was so preoccupied with the chicken little episode Thursday night that I was beside myself.  I had remembered that when something bad is going on in your life you can lessen your worries by helping someone else.  I called my sister. 

The good news is that she sounded sober.  She managed to fall off the curb and break her foot.  I think that I was able to use some of the life lessons that I have learned to help her.  I have lived for years with negative self talk and this is a new concept for her.  I asked her if she would talk to her daughters that way, of course she replied no.  I said then why would you talk to yourself that way.  I also know a few things about punishing myself for things that I have done wrong in the past.  I think that the conversation really made me realize how much I focus on the past. 

Ironically enough she was abandoned like I was by her parents, but her mother sent her to live with other people.  I was left to my own devices.  She said that she really felt as is she had been hampered by this experience.  She had lived with people who did everything for her, her laundry, fixed three meals a days, and she learned none of these life skills.  Where I was left to do my own laundry, cook my own meals, and learned to be independent .  She had come to the same conclusion that I had that it sucked but taught me many life skills. 

I stopped spending my life comparing myself to others when I realized that if you are jealous of what other people have, you are either meant to not have it or you need to go after it yourself.  The choice is yours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment