Sunday, June 10, 2012

finding our voice

i think that relationships have inertia, whichever way you start off, you will continue to go that direction until something big happens to change the direction

i went to my friends surprise 40th party last week.  After many margaritas, her boyfriend decided to propose.  It seemed that in his drunken stupor that he had enough liquid courage to execute a very badly thought out plan.  He started the diatribe with something about being strapped for cash.  I am sure it pretty much went downhill from there.  My friend would have been happy with a cubic zirconia, but it was amazing how he is able to find money for all kinds of other things but not for the ring.  Men just don't get it, this is a daily reminder of them, their love for us, and almost a symbol for our relationship.  Every time she looks at that ring she will think of that lousy proposal and how she didn't feel like a priority. 

They ended their engagement less than one week later. 

I met her for a drink last week and it was the ring that tied the entire situation together, it was a symbol of how she would always be last.  She spent 20 years in a marriage where she was last.  I applaud her strength and ability to stand up for what she deserves.

It is funny how at 40 we seem to find our voice, are able to finally read the compass, and have been through enough tough times to know that this is yet another storm that God will take us through.  I am proud of her, it motivates me. 

1 comment:

  1. How true.....in my 40's I was still finding my voice but by 50 it was loud and clear. I finally figured out that I'd rather be alone than miserable with someone. The right person is worth waiting for no matter how long he takes to get there. In the meantime you just keep on living your own life to the fullest.

    ReplyDelete