Friday, June 1, 2012

apology

my mother would make me cinnamon and sugar with rice and milk for breakfast.  Once i woke up early and made my own breakfast.  I used too much cinnamon and not enough sugar in my rice.  My mother woke up and she was furious, she made me sit at the table until i ate my breakfast.

I wished that my mother would have been more patient with me and had showed me my mistake without punishing me for it. 

For years, i couldn't say that i was sorry and could not stand for someone to tell me i was wrong.  It took me years to figure out that the appropriate response to someone apologizing to me was not "it is okay".  Once my boyfriends son had done something and my boyfriend made him apologize to me, i didn't know what to say because it wasn't "okay", so i just sat there.  He was so furious at me for not saying anything. 

I was in my mid 20's and i didn't know how to respond to an apology. 

No comments:

Post a Comment