Wednesday, February 20, 2013

showing up is half the battle

"Well now let's see.  The majority of criminal defendants I see day by day claim they blame their adult fate on their childhood relationships.  Most can not read well, have a GED, maybe and have a job which requires them to say "would you like tea with that sir".  Most of the time I find that they blew off a meaningful relationship with their folks.  Now they don't have a clue how to deal with life.  And if they were fortunate and had parents with good jobs and educations they failed to take advantage of their wisdom.  Took their own path in the of objections from their folks and now cannot bring themselves to admit they themselves made mistakes.  Gainfully sort of employed when they show up on the days they can roll out of bed and face the world.  It's the "oh woe is me" crew.  Give me one more chance.".........My dad sent this to me today.

I remember once we were going somewhere and there were a couple of younger people driving a car past us and he made the remark that the car was probably stolen.  I was playing devils advocate and asked how he knew that, he responded that the car was too nice for people that age.  I was fortunate to have a nice car, but i also had a job to pay for that nice car.  I asked what the difference between me and those people were.  His answer was that i looked like i belonged in the car that i drove.  As i have gotten older i now know what he is talking about.  I am fortunate to live in a town that police don't harass you much for speeding.  I have been pulled over twice in the 10 years that i have been back.  I have a girl who works for me that is pulled over all of the time.  She asked me this morning if i had any issues getting to work.  I replied "No, but i also don't drive like an idiot."  She has two speeds when she drives, stop and full speed ahead.  When she first started working for me, she came into my office more than once having a panic attack because she was pulled over.  I have witnessed her driving since and now fully understand.  Let me pull out my crystal ball and tell you how this is going to end, police tend to frown upon people who drive excessively over the speed limit and tend to give multiple, hefty fines for this. Her and her girlfriend barely have two pennies to rub together and this will be yet another chicken little scenario that will only bring drama into my world.  I will then point out her culpability in the situation, which will be shocking to her, and make me the bad guy. 

Excellent example, one of my girls has just moved in with her boyfriend. She is telling me on Wednesday that she has already spent all of her money that she was paid on Friday.  I said "welcome to being an adult".  She then went and asked another manager if they could believe that i said that, and their response was pretty much the same. 

It amazed me when i started back to school, how unprepared people are. I could totally understand if it were the just out of high school students, but no, it was the people my age or older.  I just wanted to scream at them "what exactly have you been doing for the past two decades, because i have lived in a world where i had to show up and be prepared or there were consequences." 

Sometimes the responsibility of so many people depending on me is overwhelming, but if i had not have designed my life like this then there is no telling where i would be.....uh, yeah there is, living in a cardboard box, depressed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment