Thursday, November 28, 2013

diseases and being thankful

I just got home from my marathon thanksgiving.  I left my store yesterday at 2:15, came home to change, clean out the car and head to pick up my sister and niece.  I got my niece and her dog (my cat is bigger than her dog).  The dog has a cast before her sister dropped it and so it thumps through the house on our wooden floors. I started calling it thumper, my husband called it flea.  My 100lb weimaraner wanted to play so bad, but his paw was almost as big as that dog.  Paisely wasn't happy, she doesn't do well with change.  I got a great surprise this morning, my dad came and drank coffee with us and had lunch with us as well.  My mother called (I suppose she had just gotten up) and wanted him to bring her lunch.  I then loaded everyone back into the car to take them back home. 

I know that alcoholism is a disease/addiction, whatever you want to call it.   I really feel that at one time I really had an issue with alcohol.  Then I met my husband and he saved my life.  I then substituted it for shopping, eating, working and/or working out.  So, we showed up yesterday and my sister was drunk.  I hated that my niece had to see that, but I did have the opportunity to talk to my sister about it.  She said she knew it was wrong when she grabbed her keys and went to the liquor store, but she thought that she could have just one drink.  I told her that isn't going to be possible.  It is like the cookies on the snack shelf, if I open them, I won't be able to have just one.  I just cannot do it, I will eat the entire package, so I just cant have the cookies.  I can't even think about the cookies.

I am aware that we all have our own crosses to bear and I seem to have a few women in my life that are alcoholics.  I do know that it isn't my responsibility to fix them and I can only give advice based on my experiences.  I can see the sadness and loneliness in her eyes.  I know what that feels like and I would not want to wish that on anyone. 

I am fortunate to be in a place in my life where I am able to work on my issues, my insecurities, and the self defeating behavior that has hurt me so much in my life.  This is what I am thankful for today. 








No comments:

Post a Comment