Friday, November 1, 2013

my fun halloween

as if this week couldn't have gotten any better

I was suppose to have lunch with my husband yesterday.  Lunch time comes and lunch time goes, it  is his day off, maybe he went home and fell asleep.  I call him and leave him a voicemail, thinking I must have misunderstood him and he went and ate earlier.  About 430 I get a call from the undersheriff.  I try to call him back and nothing.  I then hear someone ask for me, I walk out of the office and it one of the guys from the sheriffs office and a pd officer.  I am thinking they are here to tell me my husband is dead.  Burt says, matt is in the parking lot.  I ask him if he is conscience.  I honestly do not even remember his answer as we walk to his truck.  I finally get to him and see that his eyes are open.  I ask what his blood sugar is, they say 20.  He has been sitting in the parking lot for almost 5 hours.

The sheriff is there trying to crack jokes and I am in shock as to the severity of the situation.  They check his blood sugar again and he is at 27.  He is then loaded onto the gurney and put into the back of the ambulance.  His parents get there and his mom gets into the ambulance, she then comes out to tell me that they are going to transport him. 

I drive to the hospital.  I stand in line, see one of the k9 guys and ask if he is awake.  He says yes, but I am still wanting to see him for myself.  There is a lady in front of me, she is taking too much time.  I finally give the lady at the window my insurance card, address, name and phone number for emergency contact.  I then ask if I can go see my husband.  I walk to the area and he is eating.  He still seems weird, but the nurse comes about an hour later and checks his sugar it is 130. 

I finally leave the hospital last night, arrive at my neighborhood at 7 and have to negotiate all of the traffic.  There are cars down both sides of the street and this lady decides to drive towards me, I am not moving and I really want to just push her out of the way.  She sits there like a stupid B until the trailer to my left moves and I have to drive around her. 

I think this morning it finally hit me.  I was angry, sad, and scared all at once. 

My mother is incapable of taking care of herself.  My mother in law has dementia.  My husband could have died in that parking lot with me less than a 100 yards away. 

No comments:

Post a Comment