Saturday, December 14, 2013

titles

it cracks me up when people get all tied up into titles, I always think it must be a self esteem thing

I used to be that way.  I wasn't JUST an assistant manager, I was the "operations manager".  Then when I finally got to be a store manager and realized that it didn't really mean anything other than there was no one between you and the butt chewing and everyone wanted something from you. 

Once we were at a family function and someone asked me where I worked, I told them the place.  They didn't ask me what I did, so I didn't tell them.  My mother interjected that I was the "store manager". 

It didn't take me very long to figure out to not tell people that because they either had a good experience there or a bad experience and they wanted to tell you all about it.  I always wanted to tell them that I worked almost 12 hours a day/5 to 6 days a week.  If they have an issue and want to talk about it, catch me there.

It is kind of like what I am going through with the assistant manager position now.  I promoted someone and yeah, the raise was nice, but I don't have lesser expectations from the rest of my management staff now that I have an assistant.  I absolutely don't look at any of them any differently than I did before. 

People get so hung up on titles.  I don't think that I have the best self esteem but I know that there isn't any title in the world that will make my esteem any better and if it does it is only temporary. 

It is like expecting a man to make my issues go away, it isn't going to happen and I have to work on them with my therapist.  I heard a lady the other night suggest that everyone have therapy for a year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment