Monday, December 2, 2013

radical therapy

so, it is funny how you need to be careful what you ask for, because you just might get it

I spoke to my sister again today and she wanted a blow by blow of what happened the day that I came to pick her up and what her daughter saw.  She wanted to know if her daughter knew that she was drunk.  I told her she wasn't fooling anyone.  The only thing that I know to relate her addiction to is being in an abusive relationship.  I had to stay with my ex-husband until I had absolutely, positively had enough.  I asked her if she was done, didn't really get a straight answer, but then again I didn't expect one.  Yes, I realize that it is a losing battle, but I don't have anything to lose.  I either will get through to her or she will continue drinking and die.  I am prepared for either decision, but I feel for my nieces I must try. 

My bff came by today and told me that a mutual friend of ours is getting divorced.  I wasn't shocked because I have known for years that she has had issues with her husband and spending money and her trying to keep their business going.  My bff said that everyone was surprised because everyone thought they were okay because they outwardly seemed okay.  It is funny how some problems are able to be hidden by the masks and some cant.  I suppose when you cant stand up it is kind of hard to hide behind the mask. 

My bff battled alcohol and has now been sober for 14 months, she still goes to AA meetings.  It was interesting to get her insight on the issue with my sister.  She had been to rehab years ago and it didn't stick.  Then one day she just woke up and decided that she was tired of the roller coaster.  She says that I need to go to an AA meeting with her, that I would feel like a princess.  She says that she feels really lucky that she still has all of her teeth, her liver isn't damaged, and that her family still talks to her.  Alcohol already damaged her relationship with her daughter, but now that she is older things are better.  She says that some times her son goes with her to her meetings and that he says he didn't know which mom was going to show up when she was drinking.  If that isn't a reason to stay sober, I don't know what is. 

My bff and I have both gone/going through therapy.  Radical therapy is when you acknowledge the past/present as what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment