Friday, May 25, 2012

changing times

gone are the days when women were hidden when pregnant, you see women sporting their baby bumps and you are hard to find a maternity department.  I was shocked yesterday when i went to Target and saw that they actually had a maternity section.  I can still recall Demi Moore on the cover of Vanity Fair naked as the day she was born with strategically placed hands keeping the cover from being rated X.  There was such outrage at the beauty of that picture.  Now celebrities wear clothing that accentuates their baby bundle. 

My mother in law told me that the first time she ran for state representative that men would ask her why she was doing it and that she should be at home or a school teacher or maybe it was a nurse.  The year was 1984. 

It is incredible to think that women were unable to vote until 1919,   The Ayes included 36 (82%) Republicans and 20 (54%) Democrats. The Nays comprised 8 (18%) Republicans and 17 (46%) Democrats.  You would have thought that the vote would have been the other way around, women being able to vote had to be a left issue.....guess not, since it looks as if the Democrats were for the suffrage. 

Oh how the tide has changed, nearly 40% of women out earn their husbands.  I have the better credit and higher earning potential than my husband who has a bachelors degree and I with my associates in general studies. 

My mother had to have my father co sign for a bed when she left my adoptive father even though she had owned a house, countless number of cars, and had credit cards in her name. 

I am thankful that i never had to feel the glass ceiling and that women before me paved the way to allow me the simple things that i take for granted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment