Sunday, May 6, 2012

nature v nurture

I have only met my biological father a handful of times.  Since he has led a higher profile life, i have seen him on TV, in the newspaper, and of course with the ease of the Internet, i now have a picture.  Since i am Hispanic i always imagined him to look like Edward James Olmos (probably because his name is Ed as well).  I assure you he looks nothing like the actor. 

My mother met my adoptive father when i was a baby, they married when i was two.  I have a step brother and a step sister.....this is where it gets interesting.

My sister and I have never lived together.  She is 7 years older than i am and i only spent time with her briefly.  My bff and I were always in awe of her, she was graceful, had a kind spirit, she was beautiful and we thought she was the coolest person we had ever met. 

After her divorce, we started spending more time together.  It is neat when you are an adult, you can have sleep overs without adult supervision, probably shouldn't mention the governor's pool.  It was after that first trip that the similarities were amazing.  Last night, i was blaming her for getting me hooked on bread pudding, thinking that she wouldn't even remember liking it in her twenties and she begged me to bid higher (pie auction) and get that pudding!!!  We drink our coffee the same, cant stand to have water in our ears, her youngest daughter could pass for mine (often does), and we have the same OCD tendencies (if the house isn't in order, then we are a mess). 

No comments:

Post a Comment