Monday, February 13, 2012

desiderata

Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

My absolute favorite part of desiderata.   I read this almost 15 years ago and it amazes me every time i am around someone who is trying to invade my boundaries. I immediately pull back and this phrase comes to mind. 

If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

My next favorite part of desiderata.  It is astounding how much time is wasted comparing ourselves to others, wanting what others have.  It is a shame how many years it took for me to get comfortable in my own skin and not be defined by what i did, what i owned, or who i knew. 

"Character is what you do when no one is looking" should be changed to "what you do when you think no one you know is looking".  My dad was born and raised in this town, so were my in laws, and my mother has lived here since the early 70's.  I took my husbands last name, but don't tell people unless they ask (kind of like what i do).  Every time i see someone who makes a total ass of themselves over something inconsequential, i smurk, knowing that i have just seen their true selves. 

My mother in law was a state representative for many years and is well known.  I went to a bar b que and saw a lady who was a real ass to me one day, the look on her face when she figured out who i was (priceless).  Strangely enough, she was never an ass to me again....wonder why???

No comments:

Post a Comment