Monday, February 6, 2012

nature vs nuture

you ever notice how mental illness in a family is like a tornado, debilitating and consuming one person and the other unafflicted (beyond the shrapnel of living with a person with mental illness)

Schizophrenia is rampant in my adoptive family.  My brother and sister suffer from bipolar and my sister was diagnosed with schizophrenia as well. 

I so looked up to my sister when i was young.  She was the girl that everyone wanted to be in school.  She was the head cheerleader, always stylish, and she carried herself with such confidence. 

Fast forward (this is where my codependency comes in), she has taken the blinders off and has a crystal clear view of the world and her life.  It scares the crap out of her and i so want to make it all better for her.  Sister always had such a rose colored view of the world, able to manipulate anyone, anywhere to serve her needs (and make people like doing it).  I don't want her to live in my world of back stabbing, negativity, and people with agendas.  It isn't that i don't think that she is equipped, i don't want her to hurt or be scared and have to travel that long hard road (i keep trying to find a way off of it). 

I know that she must find her own way and there is such freedom in knowing that you are able to stand on your own two feet. 

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear, I know that you want to be there for your sister and you can but she's got to do the work herself. All you can do is keep encouraging her and hope that she gets the freedom from knowing she can stand on her own two feet.

    Call me sometime and we will chat. 405-329-1421

    ReplyDelete