Sunday, April 7, 2013

little red corvette

it is Sunday and our ritual is to go to the donut shop, me, Mr B, and Paisely.  I stop and kiss my sleeping husband on the head to ask if he would like anything, his response was "more sleep".  I help Ms. Pookie into the back of my car and my husband calls me, so i walk back into the house where i am greeted with a big hug and his breakfast order.  We hear the horn honk and he asks me who was in the car....."who do you think", they were tired of waiting on their mommy and wanted to roll!!!  I now roll down the windows and take the long way home so Mr. B can hang his head out the window.  I am thinking of getting a vanity plate "B RIDE"

I read a post on facebook about children born in the seventies and how hard we had it; no cell phones, ps3, the Internet was dragging your behind to the library and searching the card catalog, we had cassette tapes and downloading music was waiting for the radio to play your favorite song where you quickly had to push record and hope the DJ didn't talk over the best part. 

I think we had more of an innocence back then, my bff and i lived in the country and there was only access to 4 channels, ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS.  The only scandolous thing you ever saw on TV was the occasional mini series like "Thornbirds" when the preist kissed a woman.  In the summer her mother would only allow us to watch one hour of TV per day, and she NEVER turned on the air conditioner.  My bff once wrote a speech about why she hated channel 3 (PBS), mostly it was because her mother and my adoptive father made us watch it.  When the movie "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" came out with Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds, the news would have to bleep out the word "Whore" when reviewing the movie.  I am quite sure that the news wouldn't have been talking about the movie if it had not have been for the title. 

We were so naive, due to lack of exposure.  I didn't even realize that the song "little red corvette" was about sex until i was in college.  My mother once heard the latest Madonna song "Pappa don't preach" and was understandably concerned about someone we adored singing about being pregnant.  I was in California that summer and wrote my bff a letter telling her what my mother had said and how crazy that sounded.  Turns out she was right, but we were so sheltered, we weren't even kissing boys at this time in our life and the thought of having sex was just too embarrassing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment