Monday, April 15, 2013

why i hate checkwriters

in my neck of the woods, people still write checks, love to write their checks.  I get a call in my office, this old lady had two checks when she left the house today.  She had already written the name of the merchants on the checks that she had planned to make purchases at for the day (why, i have no idea).  When she went to the beauty supply she wrote that amount on the check that she had meant to pay for her dog grooming, this was a big tragedy.  I told her to write the correct amount in the box, scribble out the wrong amount, initial it and as long as the amount in the box matched the spelled out amount on the line, the bank would take the check.  I am the only one who took home ec where i was taught to write out a check and what to do if i made a mistake.  People, if you love your time wasting checks so much, shouldn't you know what to do in this situation???

this is why i hate people with checks.....they stand there watching me ring up every item.  I give them their total, this is when it dawns on them that they must now pay for their purchases, so they start digging through their bag.  I wont judge, i carry a lot of stuff in my bag, but for heaven's sake, what were you doing while you were standing in line, did you think it would be free?  Finally, they find their checkbook, then they start digging for a pen.  "Here, use mine", i say.  Then the questions start, "where am i", "what is today's date", "how much was that"?  Then we must make sure we write what the check was for in the memo line (this takes a moment because they have already forgotten what they got) on the bottom of the check.  We must also make sure that we put the check in the journal (i cannot tell you the last time i used my journal).  "I need to see your drivers license" and the treasure hunt ensues again.  I really want to scream "JOIN THE 21ST CENTURY AND GET A CHECK CARD FOR PETE'S SAKE".

my mother LOVES her checks, she LOVES to balance her checkbook, she will spend HOURS looking for a dime.  I have tried to point out that she has spent more time looking for that dime than it is worth.  I on the other hand, just hit an ATM and whatever total it tells me i am good with....why, because in all of my check writing adulthood, if there was a mistake.  I was the one that made it, never the bank, it was my inability to add or subtract.  Which you would think as an accounting major i would have mastered by now.

No comments:

Post a Comment