Sunday, January 1, 2012

The accident

My mother went to school and received her associates in criminal justice and because a police officer.  This made me feel very special and very proud of her. Unfortunately, she was working a wreck one day that involved a truck with bales of hay.  She was throwing the bales back on the truck, when one fell off and she caught it instead of letting it fall.  This caused massive damage to her back.  My mother has had many surgeries since this first accident and at times, the prognosis wasn't good.  She spent many days laying on the floor of that trailer that we lived in on a heating pad with a back brace and weights attached to her trying to do who knows what.  I am not really sure how long this period lasted, except that my father had checked out.  He was a professor that had late night classes twice a week, took an unpaid position as a an assistant baseball coach (which meant practice everyday, games on the weekends),  he also had drill one weekend a month, and don't forget about the philandering.  In the nick of time, my grandmother came from California for a visit and found my mother dying on the floor of that trailer with pneumonia and was able to get my father to take her to the hospital.  Hospitals were so different then, i wasn't allowed to go into the room to see my mother, and no one really talked about it.  I just felt like a burden and forgotten. 

Fortunately, my mother was able to walk and work again.  It seemed as if the only day we were all together was Sunday.  Oh, how I have learned to hate Sundays.  The day was tension filled and if they weren't fighting, they were avoiding each other and I was forgotten and felt like a burden, trying to make the situation better.  It was only a matter of time before they announced they were getting divorced, i was soooo very happy, but little did i know that this was only the beginning of the end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment