Saturday, January 14, 2012

the workaholic

After my divorce, i felt like such a failure.  I was physically and emotionally beat down, this is when i started throwing myself into work and found my escape.  I became an office manager, key carrier, and then an assistant manager.  I worked 10-16 hour days and finally found the approval that i so desperately needed.  I could lose myself in this world.  It was a constant challenge that i struggled with at times, but got high off the success at other times. 

After i had graduated high school and was working at the service desk at a discount store, i overheard a lady that had been a teacher at my school telling another customer that she had a new job.  When i asked her where, she looked down her nose at me and said with disgust "not here".  Obviously, she didnt recognize me and i suppose that was my punishment for eavesdropping.  I didnt say a word to her and i internalized that shame for years. 

I was always reaching for the golden ring.  When i was an assistant manager, i would tell people that i was a "hardlines manager".  I changed companies and then told people I was a "merchandising manager" or "operations manager".  I was so wrapped up into the title, even when i was promoted to STORE MANAGER.  It didnt take long to realize that title only meant people wanted to really suck the life out of you. 

Life is funny.  I spent my whole life waiting for my mother to tell me she was proud of me, when i stopped expecting it, i got it.  I still carry the card that she sent with the roses that read "We are proud of you.  Love, Mom and Dad".

About 5 years ago i stopped telling people what i do, if you ask i will tell you where i work.....and leave off the fancy title that made me feel so important for so long. 

No comments:

Post a Comment