Sunday, April 1, 2012

nature vs nurture

i think that my mother checked out of my life about the time that we moved to the country, which i had to be about 7

the issue being that when you don't have a female figure in your life, there are lots of things that you don't learn or learn the hard way.  Everyone in my life made sure the monumental things (like starting my period were covered), but all of the other things fell to the side.  I had a babysitter show me how to wear make up.  I cant remember who took me to get my first bra, probably one of the many girlfriends.  I didn't learn to wear lip stick until i was almost 30.  I had no clue what was appropriate to wear to what until i was much older.  I wore a pair or bluejeans and white t shirt to my sisters graduation.  Why on earth did no one say anything to me before hand???  I once went to a wedding of my grandfather's wife's family in shorts, they must have been horrified.  My grandmother took me to a nice restaurant once when i was visiting and i remember the look of disapproval i received when we arrived at the restaurant. 

Oh my and i had zero table manners.  I lived with a man who was in the army and is used to having 2 minutes to eat.  I once went to my sisters and she made rice with butter and sugar for breakfast.  I still remember the look of horror on her face as she watched me eat.  Not until Seinfeld did i know what double dipping was and that it was bad. 

No comments:

Post a Comment